<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, September 29, 2005

A Year of Linux 


It's been about a year since I started using Linux, so it's time for a short review. I haven't really learned much about using Linux except for installing applications and mounting disks. I use Mandrake 10.1 for web browsing, file sharing, and various media applications. There are occasions when I need to use applications that work on Windows, so I still have a dual booting system. In fact it was only yesterday that I had to re-install the Windows which had become crippled due to spy-ware and virus. It went smoothly except that the bootloader was erased in the formatting. Mandrake's installation disk replaced it easily.

Some of the problems I've had with Linux are difficulties in hardware recognition. I'm using Mandrake largely because it worked so well with my hardware on installation. It still had trouble with a sound card and I haven't got around to addressing the issue. I'm using sound from the motherboard instead. The screensaver never really worked (for Mandrake) and the Wine emulator are not much use either. That aside, I'm happy using Linux and see no need to return to Windows, except for the odd occasion when I need to use a Windows application.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?